I think I know what the vibroacoustic study should be. I put an actuator on the Phantom and drive wav files based on the material associated with the collision. I can use the built-in haptic pattern playback as a control. To make the wav files, it might be as simple as recording the word, or using a microphone to contact a material, move across it and lift off (personally, I like this because it mimics what could be done with telepresence. The use of multiple sensor/actuator pairs can be used in a later study.
Which means that I don’t actually need the Phidgets code in the new KF hand codebase. I’m going to include it anyway, simple because I’m so close and can use it later.
Come to think of it, I could put an actuator on a mouse as well and move over materials?
Tasks for today:
- Finish getting the Phidgets code working in KF_Hand_3 – done
- Start to add sound classes – done inasmuch as sounds are loaded and played using the library I wrote. More detail will come later.
- Start to integrate Phantom. Got HelloHapticDevice2 up and running again, as well as quite a few demos
Yesterday, I got the sensor resistance converted to voltage using this nifty tutorial from Sparkfun. A 1k ohm resistor seems to work best, since I want most of the sensitivity to be light pressure.
Today, the goal is to build a circuit with three channels that connects to the Phidgets voltage sensor. The only thing I’m wondering is if I’ll get the resolution with the voltage range I’m getting – Zero to about 2.5 volts. I’m estimating that I should get about 1500 – 3000 steps out of that, assuming -30v to +30v is resolved to a (unsigned?) 16-bit int.
Brian came over last night and we were able to load up his laptop with the drivers and software and run examples. At this point, we’re looking at three things to study with the rig:
- What is/are the best frequencies for spatial orientation (position and distance) using these actuators?
- What happens with speed and accuracy when there are more than one signal?
- Do 7 actuators work better than 4?
We’re in the process now of writing up the test plan. In the meantime, I’m now going to try to adapt the Audio2X software to replace the synthesizers and use a Phidgets 1019 to replace the Ardino of the previous telepresence test rig. Once that’s done, then I’ll add in the Phantom. For reference, here’s a video of the first version running:
And here’s a picture of the latest interface that will be attached to the Phantom:
To move this along, I’ve brought a small pile of electronics in from home. Tomorrow’s goal is to make sure that I can connect to the interface board. Once that’s working I need to hook up the sensors from the old prototype (note! Bring in crimping pins for female DB15 connector!).
Statistics has always seemed to me stuck in a place that resembles physics before Newton. Lots of pieces that work on their own, but no unifying theory. This drives me crazy, and is probably a reason that there is so much hating on statistics. I discovered Kolmogorov Complexity reading a paper on vacation last week, and wonder if that could be used as a basis for a unified theory of statistics. Here’s a reasonable starting point:
Kolmogorov Complexity – A Primer
which leads to
Information Distance — A Primer
I was going to have a demo for upper management of my company, but the VP of R&D got waylaid by travel issues and had to postpone. So that gave me a few additional hours to do XML parsing things and generally fix up the application. This is what a study looks like:
<?xml version="2.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<SubjectName>Some Graduate Student</SubjectName>
So now I have a release build that can create ad-hoc sessions or read in a test session from an xml file. The results from the test is output to a csv file where the position of the source(s), the position of the cursor, the angle between them, and the time to act are all recorded. In addition, the number of speakers used is determined and the normalized volume to each channel is recorded. So yay.
I suppose that the next step with the code would be to set the speakers explicitly, rather than letting the API determine the volume, but I think that would be another study. And I should add comments before I forget why I wrote things the way I did (wstring wst(str.begin(), str.end());, I’m looking at you…)
For the pilot study, I’m going to team up with Brian to go and find all the relavent previous work and set up the study. I’m pretty sure that we’re covered by one of Ravi’s IRBs, so I think that collecting data can begin as soon as a machine is set up in the lab that we can use.
And while that’s cooking, I can now use my shiny new audio library to hook up to the telepresence simulator. Woohoo!
It was one of those days where work interfered with development. How inconvenient. I shake my fist at the power of the paycheck. Damn you!
- Made sure that the telepresence demo was working. I need to get back to that!
- Adding XML parsing of setup files.
- Reading in files with newfangled std::ifstream. Fun!
- Using rapidxml, which is working just fine, but suffering from cryptic documentation. I wasn’t sure how to get child nodes until I found this post. It looks like a small library of navigation functions might be useful. Considering there is rapidxml_iterators.hpp and rapidxml_utils.hpp I’ll look there first.