Tag Archives: microsoft directx sdk

Building the Audio Library

  • Making sure that the release version of the code runs as well – it does. And a massive 19kb of executable. Of course, it’s not statically linked… That makes it 6,234kb
    • C/C++
      • General
        • Additional Include Directories: $(DXSDK_DIR)\Include
      • Language
        • Treat WChar_t as Built in Type: Yes (/Zc:wchar_t)
    • Linker
      • General
        • Additional Library Directories: C:\Program Files %28×86%29\Microsoft DirectX SDK %28June 2010%29\Lib\x86
      • Input
        • Additional Dependencies:
          • winmm.lib
          • dxerr.lib
          • X3DAudio.lib (only needed for DLL compilation)
  • Making library
    • Following directions here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ms235627.aspx
    • For a DLL library, you *must* select the when creating your console application’s (that is actually not a console application, but never mind that…) “export variables” checkbox option. Still figuring out how to use this.
    • For my first attempt in accessing the DLL, I’ve created the following method (The #defines are generated, I’ve included them for all to marvel at):
        #define DXAUDIOINTERFACEDLL_API __declspec(dllexport)
        #define DXAUDIOINTERFACEDLL_API __declspec(dllimport)
        DXAUDIOINTERFACEDLL_API BasicAudio* getBasicAudio(void);
      • I think this produces an exported method that returns a pointer to the BasicAudio class. Not sure though. It may, though now I’m getting the following link errors:
        • 1>DynamicLibConsoleTest.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol “public: void __thiscall BasicAudio::destroy(void)” (?destroy@BasicAudio@@QAEXXZ) referenced in function _wmain
        • etc…
        • 1>C:\Phil\MSVC Dev\MultichannelOr3dAudio\DxAudioInterfaceLibrary\Debug\DynamicLibConsoleTest.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 6 unresolved externals
      • Which means the public inner methods are not available. Maybe the answer is to make a wrapper class for all the methods? Ugly, but something to try..
      • Building wrapper class DXAUDIOINTERFACEDLL_API CDxAudioInterfaceDLL
      • Done. Compiles and links now, but doesn’t run. Ah. I was declaring a local pointer to the internal BasicAudio class. Not pretty, but it does seem to work…
  • Testing against Static console app – check
  • Testing against Dynamic console app – check
  • Switching to Release build
  • Testing against Static console app – check
  • Testing against Dynamic console app – check
  • Checked everything into Subversion. Calling it a day.

3D sound compiled and running, if not understood all that well…

Today’s twists and turns:

  • More Audio3d.
  • Starting to add in the 3dAudio based on this and this and this.
  • Got an audio link error and chased that down, discovering a few things along the way.
  • There is directX help for C++ in (“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Documentation\DirectX9\directx_sdk.chm”). I don’t know it it’s any good, but I’m going to look though it next. Note that this is DX9, not 11. I’m *hoping* that this is all up to date…
  • Pointed Configuration Properties->Linker->General->Additional Library Directories at (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Lib\x86), and added the following files to Configuration Properties->Linker->Input->additional dependencies”
    • d3d11.lib
    • This is a change from the libraries that the demo book points at, which were dxd9 libs. Recompiled and ran the code with no problems. I did attempt to clean up the xact3dInstance pointer in ~Audio3d(), but delete[] threw an exception
  • Reading through the DX documentation, which, though it is in the DX9 folder, contains information about DX11. Whatever.
  • The documentation is kind of what you’d expect, but it let me find the tutorials and demos, which are quite nice. On my machine, the demos that I’m interested in are located here: (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft DirectX SDK (June 2010)\Samples\C++\XAudio2). It contains 4 projects:
    • XAudio2BasicSound
    • XAudioBasicStream
    • XAudio2CustomAPO
    • XAudio2Sound3D
  • Each project has source and MSVC2008 and MSVC2010 project files. I’ve just opened up the XAudio2Sound3D MSVC2010 project, and it compiled and ran just fine: XAudio2demo
  • This is almost exactly what I intend to build for the test environment, so that’s pretty cool. And using the buttons or the keyboard, I can drive the sound emitter around my head. Woohoo!
  • Next goal is to build up a copy of XAudio2BasicSound and then add the 3D components (without the graphics) from XAudio2Sound3D.